6.25.2008

I cannot believe it

So, I just finished giving a tour this morning and I could not believe what the dad said to me. I was talking about entertainment on campus. I mentioned that notable speakers make appearances at ISU and mentioned Jesse Jackson, who had visited campus a few years ago. The dad said, I kid you not, " Oh Jesse Jackson is a comedian; he just doesn't know he is telling jokes and he never laughs after his jokes. I laugh though cuz he is really funny. That guy needs to be knocked back a couple centuries."

Ridiculous!

I cannot believe the mentality that still remains out there. I hate racism. Of course his timid subdued wife just nodded in agreement and his little daughter just stood there, unaware of the horrible influence she has been subjected to her entire life. I hope college opens her eyes to reality.

3 comments:

joyous said...

You misspelled ridiculous. ;)

Unknown said...

Jesse Jackson has said some pretty ridiculous things too. Just because this man disagrees with Mr. Jackson, or doesn't see some of his ideas as legit, doesn't mean he is a racist.

People disagree, people make generalizations, people have prejudices, all these things are as common as a cold, but racism is far more malicious and systematic than calling someone laughable.

I had no idea Jesse Jackson had been to Idaho, though. That is notable.

Nayland Olsen said...

The fact that he disagreed with Jesse Jackson, in my opinion is not racist. But I do think the part about "that guy needs to be knocked back a couple of centuries" was pretty bad. To me, he was insuating that Jesse Jackson would not have had the right to say what he says back then... because he would have been a slave!. True Mr. Jackson has said many things that I disagree with, but I still think the dad on the tour was racist.